“A Kidnapped Santa Claus” by L. Frank Baum Reading Questions
1. Who is the protagonist? Who is the antagonist?
The protagonist is Santa Claus and the antagonist are the Daemons.
2. What is the conflict?
Santa gets kidnapped by the Daemons
3. What is the setting?
Christmas Eve and laughing Valley
4. To what genre would you say this story belongs? Why?
It belongs to fantasy because the Daemons are the internal problems that become external problems.
5. What do you notice about Baum’s writing style?
It's a kind of singsongy writing style. This was probably written for children.
6. Who are the Daemons? How are they labeled? Why are they named so?
The Daemons are all emotions that are labeled by how human emotions are. Envy; hatred; malice
7. What familiar seasonal elements are used in the story? What unfamiliar elements are there?
The elves , the time of year and the things that have to do with christmas; the magical creatures, the Daemons.
8. What are some variations of this story that have been retold in the last few years?
Elf, the polar express, kiss save santa
9. Are there any parts of the story that help to define Santa Claus as a character? Does he make any tough decisions or risk something valuable?
He shows bravery, he is forgiving
10. How does Santa escape the cave?
The Daemon of repentance felt guilty and let him go.